NorthNet Library System(NLS), at the direction of the Administrative Council and Executive Committee, retained the legal services of Best, Best and Krieger in 2017 to research and provide analysis and recommendations to the three NLS legacy systems as to their on-going obligation and payment to CalPERS on system retirees, as well as the obligation of former system members to the CalPERS payments.
Since the original research began and recommendations were made by BB&K, additional research and analysis work has been contracted, more detail was requested concerning the newly enacted California state legislation (AB1912) that revised the original analysis of the retirement liability obligation for Joint Power Authorities. The BB&K legal reports to date have been compiled and are now posted on the NLS website under “About…” for each legacy system.
CalPERS Attorney Reports for NorthNet
- August 17, 2017 Report about NLS liability and Liability of Three Systems
- October 2017 Liability Assessment for NBCLS
- October 2017 Liability Assessment for NSCLS
- October 2017 Liability Assessment for MVLS
- January 17, 2018 NLS Pension Liability for Three systems
- June 12, 2018 Answers to NLS Additional Questions Related to Liability of Legacy System Members
- November 29, 2018 Update on AB1912 and Liability of Legacy Systems
More Information on CalPERS Publications including annual GASB reports can be found here
Find CalPERS documentation for MVLS here.
Find CalPERS documentation for NBCLS here.
Find CalPERS documentation for NSCLS here.